I want to share with you this year’s outstanding DON IT Conference program and congratulate the winners of the DON Information Management/Information Technology (IM/IT) Excellence Awards.
The DON Chief Information Officer (CIO) hosts an East and West Coast DON IT Conference each year to provide information about the latest DON IT initiatives, offer training that applies to IT certifications, enable interaction with DON IT leadership, and celebrate DON IM/IT Award winners. I am always truly impressed by the excellent speakers and the many hundreds of attendees who gather to learn and share.
The DON IT Conference, West Coast 2018 is February 6-8 at the San Diego Convention Center. Seventy-five unique sessions are scheduled, with topics ranging from Cybersecurity to IT Portfolio Management and Audit Readiness to Facility-Related Control Systems. Forty sessions qualify for Continuing Education Units/Continuous Learning Credits. I encourage you to view the complete program at http://www.doncio.navy.mil.
This year, the DON IM/IT nominees all showed an impressive array of talent and leadership, making selecting the winners very challenging. The following individuals and teams were selected for their superior efforts.
• The DON IM/IT Excellence Awards: Imaginative concepts that challenged conventional thinking and resulted in the improved use of DON information.
-- Joseph Walker, Enterprise Architect, OPNAV N2N6G
-- Andre King, Marine Corps IA Red Team Mission Lead, Marine Corps Cyberspace Operations Group
-- Marine Corps Cyberspace Operations Group Unified Communications Team, led by Michael Caruso
• The DON Information System Security Manager (ISSM)/Information System Security Officer (ISSO) of the Year Award: Contributions to security efforts that resulted in significant improvements in cyber hygiene.
-- Timothy McVey, ISSM, Naval Special Warfare Cybersecurity Program
• The DON Cyberspace/IT Person of the Year and Rising Star of the Year Awards: Individuals who display visionary thinking, innovation, and superior leadership skills in delivering IT to support the DON’s mission.
-- Person of the Year: CTNC (IW) Bernard Armer, Operations Chief/Team Lead, Defense Cyberspace Operations Team Afloat Task Group
-- Rising Star of the Year: Brianeisha Eure, ISSM, SPAWAR Atlantic, Medical Information Delivery, Defense Health Agency
• DON Data and Analytics Consortium Trailblazer Award: Superior commitment to the use or application of data analytics for innovative solutions, research products, or within training/education.
-- Bureau of Naval Personnel Enterprise Information Management, led by Scott Pavelec
• The Privacy Program Excellence Award: Exceptional commitment to advance an effective command privacy program.
-- Bureau of Naval Personnel Privacy Cadre, led by Kathleen Eisenhour
• The DON Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Program Excellence Award: Superior leadership performance and commitment to freedom of information.
-- Headquarters Marine Corps FOIA Team, led by Sally Hughes
• The John J. Lussier Electromagnetic Spectrum Award: Superior achievement in DON Electromagnetic Spectrum management and use.
-- CWO4 Jerome Foreman, HQMC/C4, Spectrum Management
These awards will be presented at the conference location closest to each winner’s duty station following the Town Hall sessions.
Thanks to all who will participate in a DON IM/IT conference and a special thanks to all award nominees (and their nominators)!
Editor’s Note: The DON IT East Coast Conference is scheduled for April 23-25, 2018, in Norfolk, Virginia. For additional information and to register, visit http://www.doncio.navy.mil . No conference fees are assessed, but registration is required.