CHIPS Articles: New Department of the Navy Social Security Number Reduction Plan
New Department of the Navy Social Security Number Reduction Plan
In 2010, the Department of the Navy (DON) began a new initiative to reduce the use of Social Security numbers in Navy and Marine Corps processes based on direction from the Department of Defense (DoD). In March, the DON Chief Information Officer issued naval message 151450Z MAR 17 DON CIO WASHINGTON DC, New Department of the Navy Social Security Number (SSN) Reduction Plan. This message was issued to reemphasize and require a new comprehensive review of DON forms and IT systems, restate old policy, and issue new policy regarding the collection of Social Security numbers.
The new DON SSN Reduction Plan, summarized below, directs the following:
- Mailings of 25 or more hard copy records containing personally identifiable information (PII) require the proper For Official Use Only (FOUO) – Privacy Sensitive marking and the use of the DoD Privacy Act Cover Sheet. Shipping and delivery methods must use a tracking service.
- SSNs may not be transmitted unencrypted.
- SSNs may not be transmitted to group mailboxes unless encrypted.
- SSNs may not be requested in surveys or questionnaires.
- SSNs must not be included in personnel rosters.
- SSNs may not be transmitted by fax. There are exceptions.
- Facility access visitor logs containing SSNs shall not be visible to personnel without an official need to know.
- DON facility access requests must use the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS).
- Removal of hard copy documents containing SSNs from an authorized workplace must be approved by the individual’s supervisor.
- SSNs shall not be included in the subject lines of messages, memorandums, letters, or emails.
- SSNs shall not be included in electronic folder or file names.
- Effective April 1, 2017, SSNs must not be used in the DoD drug testing program.
- All DON contracts must include the privacy Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) clauses.
- Semiannual compliance spot checks must be completed with corrective action documented.
- A review and justification for the continued use of SSNs in official DON forms, IT systems, applications, shared drives, web portals, and other collections associated with DON-controlled business processes, is due June 1, 2017.
Please see 151450Z MAR 17 DON CIO WASHINGTON DC, New Department of the Navy Social Security Number (SSN) Reduction Plan, for additional details and complete requirements.