Email this Article Email   

CHIPS Articles: DONCEAP Provides ID Theft Assistance

DONCEAP Provides ID Theft Assistance
Available to DON civilians and their families
By DON Office of Civilian Human Resources - July-September 2015
The Department of the Navy Civilian Employee Assistance Program (DONCEAP) provides support for financial issues and identity theft for all DON civilians and their families. The 24/7 number is 1-844-DONCEAP (1-844-366-2327) TTY 1-888-262-7848, International 001-866-829-0270.

Information is also available at

The following information is provided as a service by DONCEAP.

Are you a victim of ID Theft?

Has something like this happened to you?

• You get a phone call or letter telling you that you have been approved or denied credit for accounts that you never opened.

• You no longer receive your credit card statements, or you notice that some of your mail seems to be missing.

• Your credit card statement includes charges for things you know you never purchased.

• A collection agency contacts you for an account you never opened.

It's possible you've become a victim of identity theft. If you suspect any improper or illegal activity is taking place, here are some recommended steps:

1. Order a copy of your credit report to see if any new accounts or credit inquiries show up. Virtually all of your credit information is in your credit report. If someone is opening accounts in your name, it should show up there. If you suspect you've been a victim of fraud (for example; you've had your mail stolen, lost your wallet, or been contacted by a collection agency for an account you've never heard of), you should contact the fraud department of each credit bureau. You are eligible for a free credit report sent via U.S. mail if you are a victim of fraud or ID Theft.

2. Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus and report that you think your identity has been stolen. Request that a "Fraud Alert" be placed on your file and that no new credit be granted without your approval.

3. Research the crime and file complaints. Contact each company where you think you might have been a victim. Talk to their security or fraud department and explain what has happened. Review your account with them for any incorrect charges or a change of address. If you find something is wrong, you may need to close the account. If you open any new accounts, ask the company to put passwords on the account.

4. File a police report. File a report with your local police or the police where the identity theft took place. Get a copy of the report in case the bank, credit card company, or others need proof of the crime later on. Also, make sure that the crime is reported under identity theft.

5. Keep a log of all conversations and activities. Make notes of everyone you speak with; ask for names, department names, phone extensions, and record the date you spoke to them. Don't throw these notes away. Keep all notes and letters together in case they are needed in the future. Keep track of the time you spend documenting this information and lost hours at work. You will need this information if the perpetrator is ever caught. You can be reimbursed for the time spent and hours lost.

6. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC is the federal clearinghouse for complaints by victims of identity theft. Although the FTC does not have the authority to bring criminal cases, the Commission assists victims of identity theft by providing them with information to help them resolve the financial and other problems that can result from identity theft. The FTC also may refer victim complaints to other appropriate government agencies and private organizations for further action. If you're a victim of identity theft, you can file a complaint with the FTC by contacting their hotline.

By phone: Toll-free 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338)

Online: File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

7. Call the Social Security Administration if you suspect that your Social Security number is being fraudulently used.

By phone: Toll-free 1-800-269-0271


8. Contact the Internal Revenue Service if you suspect the improper use of identification information in connection with tax violations.

By phone: Toll-free 1-800-908-4490


9. For additional information on identity theft, including steps you can take to protect yourself from identity theft, or for assistance from DONCEAP's highly trained Fraud Resolution Specialists, civilian employees can contact DONCEAP 24 hours a day at 1-844-DONCEAP (1-888-366-2327) / (TTY: 1-888-262-7848) / International: 001-866-829-0270 or at

Excerpt from the Department of the Navy Office of Civilian Human Resources DON HR FAQ fact sheet regarding the OPM data breach: For additional questions, contact

Related CHIPS Articles
Related DON CIO News
Related DON CIO Policy

CHIPS is an official U.S. Navy website sponsored by the Department of the Navy (DON) Chief Information Officer, the Department of Defense Enterprise Software Initiative (ESI) and the DON's ESI Software Product Manager Team at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific.

Online ISSN 2154-1779; Print ISSN 1047-9988
Hyperlink Disclaimer