The DON IT Excellence Awards program is the most prestigious and longest running award program that recognizes excellence in Information Management (IM) and Information Technology (IT) in the Department of the Navy. For two decades, the Department of the Navy Chief Information Officer (DON CIO) has been presenting awards that recognize individual and team contributions. Starting in 2000 as the "eGov Awards," they were renamed in 2005 to the "DON IM/IT Excellence Awards."
The 2021 award name has been shortened to the "DON IT Excellence Awards" and the categories have been refined to align with the DON Information Superiority Vision. Nominations for the 2021 awards are due 4 December 2020.
Covering work done during FY20, awards will be presented in the following categories:
- Modernize: Modernize our Infrastructure
- Innovate: Innovate and Deploy New Capabilities
- Defend: Defend our Information
- Data: Leverage Data to Drive Advantage
- Workforce: Empower the Digital Workforce
- DON IT Person of the Year
- DON IT Rising Star of the Year
To submit a nomination, please follow the below instructions.
1. Write a one-page Award Justification (8.5 x 11 inch paper, 1 inch margins, single spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font) which includes the following:
- A brief summary of the challenge(s) or problem(s) to be solved;
- How the project, effort, person, or team meets the specific award criteria as defined in the DON IT Excellence Awards Criteria Table; and
- How the results benefit the DON, including quantitative results or measures of improvement.
2. Write an Award Citation of 150 words or less, summarizing the nomination. The citation will be used for the award letter and any collateral materials if the nomination is selected as a winner.
3. Complete the DON IT Excellence Awards Nomination Form and have a senior leader in your leadership chain (e.g., SES/Flag/GO, Command Information Officer, Commanding Officer, etc.) sign the form.
4. Awards are selected based on the strength of the award justification by a panel of Navy, Marine Corps, and DON CIO judges. Forwarding letters are not necessary, and additional endorsements will not be considered.
5. Email the completed Nomination Form, Award Justification, and Award Citation to YN1 Holloway at Christopher.M.Hollow@navy.mil with a copy to the DON CIO mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 December 2020.