Congratulations to the 2008 DON IM/IT Excellence Award and Federal 100 Award Winners
By Command Communications Team - Published, February 15, 2008
Congratulations are in order for individuals and teams throughout the Department of the Navy. The DON Chief Information Officer presented DON Information Management/Information Technology (IM/IT) Excellence Awards on Feb. 5, 2008, during the DON IM/IT Conference in San Diego, Ca. Additionally, Federal Computer Week announced its 2008 Federal 100 awards, which will be presented at an awards gala in March.
The DON IM/IT Excellence Awards, presented by the DON CIO, recognize superior quality of IM/IT projects, teams and individuals helping to transform the Navy and Marine Corps through information technology. Congratulations to the following award winners:
- Col Eric L. Rolaf, Commanding Officer of the Marine Corps Network Operations and Security Center (MCNOSC), for significant achievement and leadership of the MCNOSC and defense of the Marine Corps Enterprise Network.
- LCDR Darrell Nealy, Deputy ACOS N6, Strike Force Training Pacific, for his leadership throughout the waterfront and expertise in communication systems and capabilities.
- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Hosting Consolidation and Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) Migration Team, for providing efficient, integrated, secure hosting and continued user access to systems, including those providing logistics support to 3,400 Seabees deployed in the Global War on Terrorism.
- Navy Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Team, for the design, development, testing, training and initial implementation of the Navy ERP System that is modernizing and standardizing the processes the Navy uses to manage its people, programs, finances, supply chain and maintenance.
- DON Next Generation Enterprise Network (NGEN) Requirements Task Force, for dedication and determination in gathering, analyzing and prioritizing requirements for NGEN, the follow-on to NMCI, scheduled for implementation in 2010.
- Naval Personnel Development Command and Naval Individual Augmentee (IA) Combat Training Center Support Team, for developing the IA Community of Practice as the authoritative source for disseminating and gathering information to and from Sailors ordered as IAs.
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) Corporate Email Archive Project Team, for advancing ONR's ability to manage large volumes of email easily and effectively, extend email storage capabilities, and use knowledge and document management tools to assist in research and eDiscovery efforts.
The Federal 100 Awards, presented by Federal Computer Week Magazine, honor leaders who have made a significant impact on the government’s use of IT. Congratulations to the following winners:
- Mr. Robert J. Carey, DON CIO, for IT leadership across the Department of the Navy.
- BGen George J. Allen, DON Deputy CIO (Marine Corps), for IT leadership throughout the Marine Corps.
- Col Eric L. Rolaf, also a DON IM/IT Excellence Award winner. As the Commanding Officer of MCNOSC he is charged with the operation and defense of the Marine Corps Enterprise Network.
- Mr. Ron Rosenthal, Program Manager for the Navy ERP Program and the senior civilian responsible for executive direction over Navy ERP. The Navy ERP Team also won a DON IM/IT Excellence Award.
- Mr. Floyd Groce, Team Lead for the DON Enterprise Licensing initiative and Co-Chair of the DoD Enterprise Software Initiative (ESI) Working Group. The DoD ESI is a joint initiative to leverage the DoD’s buying power for licensing commercial software and develop a business process for Information Technology Asset Management.
- Col Monte E. Dunard, Director of the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned. He is responsible for ensuring that the experience gained by Marines in combat operations and exercises is captured, documented and rapidly distributed throughout the Marine Corps to enhance doctrine, tactics, techniques, procedures and Marine Corps warfighting functions.
- Michael Jacobs, the DON Chief Technology Officer, responsible for enterprise architecture, standards and data management. He is also the Director of the DON NGEN Strategy and Concept of Operations Task Force. The NGEN team also won a DON IM/IT Excellence Award.