How to Obtain Military Personnel, Health, and Award Records

By DON CIO Privacy Team - Published, September 17, 2010

The following processes are provided for active duty military members, former military members, family members, and other individuals wishing to obtain copies of military personnel records.

If you are active duty military, view "Privacy Act System of Records Notices" and select the appropriate SORNs link. For Navy follow the directions in N01070-3, Navy Military Personnel Records System.

Veterans should go to the following link when requesting military service records, including DD 214s, or attempting to replace awards and medals. Veteran Personnel Record Information.

If you are not a veteran or next of kin, visit the National Archives website, "Access to Military Records by the General Public" and follow the process.

To obtain veteran medical record information, go to Veteran Medical Record Information.

Related CHIPS Magazine
Related Resources