Published, March 27, 2008
The DON CIO is the Community Leader for the DON Cyberspace/Information Technology workforce.
The Cyberspace/IT workforce includes military and government civilians who plan, budget, manipulate, control and archive information throughout its life cycle; develop, acquire, implement, evaluate, maintain and retire information, information systems and IT; develop the necessary policies and procedures; and apply measures that protect and defend information and information systems.
The DON CIO's overall goal is to develop an enterprise approach that will result in a highly qualified workforce, operating in an environment that motivates them to achieve mission objectives.
This management approach includes five key objectives:
- Ensure the DON attracts, develops and retains a highly capable Cyberspace/IT workforce required to fulfill mission critical capabilities;
- Strengthen the identification, training, certification and management of a Cybersecurity/IA workforce;
- Identify the Cyberspace/IT workforce manpower, personnel and training requirements for next generation DON Cyber/IT;
- Transition to a net-centric Cyberspace/IT workforce through fundamental changes in policy, processes and culture; and
- Align Cyberspace/IT workforce roles, responsibilities and capabilities through the identification and development of common competencies necessary to successfully develop, operate and maintain today's complex systems.
Additionally, the DON CIO builds partnerships across the enterprise to ensure the DON has the leadership commitment, resources and initiatives necessary to develop the Cyberspace/IT workforce.