DON IT Community Recognizes IT Advances, Excellence and Professionalism in the Fleet
By Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Yarborough, Navy Public Affairs Support Element East - Published, April 27, 2018
Rear Adm. Danelle Barrett, Navy Cyber Security Division Director, and senior leaders from the Office of the Department of the Navy Chief Information Officer (DON CIO) awarded eight recipients for their work, drive and innovation that advanced the Navy and Marine Corps Information Technology (IT) communities during the DON IT Conference at The Main Hilton, April 24.
Dr. Kelly Fletcher, Business Systems Lead in the DON Office of Chief Management Officer (CMO), says she was impressed by the amount of award nominees.
"I was also really impressed by the scope of activities across a lot of different commands, and not only from dedicated IT professionals," said Fletcher, also a judging panel member. "So many of our submissions were from areas that it would never occur to me to look for a nominee, but they were good IT related and information management work, which made it really difficult during the judging process."
The following individuals and teams received awards for their contributions and efforts in IT excellence.
The DON IM/IT Excellence Awards: Imaginative concepts that challenged conventional thinking and resulted in the improved use of DON information.
- Joseph Walker, End-to-End Afloat Web Services Architecture Pilot, Navy N2N6
- Andre King, Marine Corps Information Assurance Red Team Lead, Marine Corps Cyberspace Operations Group
- Marine Corps Cyberspace Operations Group Unified Communications Team, led by Michael Caruso
- The DON Cyberspace/IT Person of the Year and Rising Star of the Year Awards: Individuals who display visionary thinking, innovation and superior leadership skill in delivering IT to support the DON’s mission.
- Person of the Year: CTNC (IW) Bernard Armer, Operations Chief/Team Lead, Defense Cyberspace Operations Team Afloat Task Group
- Rising Star of the Year: Brianeisha Eure, ISSM, SPAWAR Atlantic, Medical Information Delivery, Defense Health Agency
- DON Data and Analytics Consortium Trailblazer Award: Bureau of Naval Personnel Enterprise Information Management, accepted by Tony Marshal. For superior commitment to the use or application of data analytics for innovative solutions, research products or within training/education.
- The Privacy Program Excellence Award: Bureau of Naval Personnel Privacy Cadre, led by Kathy Eisenhour. For exceptional commitment to advance an effective command privacy program.
- The DON Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Program Excellence Award: Headquarters Marine Corps FOIA Team, accepted by Deanna James. For superior leadership performance and commitment to freedom of information.
This is the 16th year of the DON IT Excellence Awards program since its conception in 2002. The awardees received a personal letter from Dr. Fletcher and a personalized wooden plaque.
"It was an absolute honor to receive the Privacy Program Excellence Award," said Kathy Eisenhour, team leader at the Bureau of Naval Personnel Privacy Cadre. "The Privacy Program consists of approximately 130 members of our Privacy Cadre and each and every one of them works extremely hard to protect the sensitive information of our Sailors."
Several of the awardees in attendance received their award, while several representatives accepted the awards on behalf of individuals and teams.
"The team is really honored and proud of the work we did," said Deanna James, who accepted the DON FOIA Program Excellence Award for the Headquarters Marine Corps FOIA Team. "We really strive to bring our best every day to serving the public, and this award would not be possible without the support of not only the Marine Corps, but the Navy and other various government agencies that we work hand in hand with."