In the last several months there have been many changes in the departments of Defense and the Navy in the offices of the Chief Information Officer that will impact ongoing business IT reform initiatives. Former DON CIO Terry Halvorsen replaced former DoD CIO Terri Takai as acting DoD CIO when Ms. Takai stepped down in May. Halvorsen had been the DON CIO since November 2010.
The new Acting DON CIO Thomas W. Hicks, who is also the Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy and Deputy Chief Management Officer, recently announced a 30-day strategic assessment of DON information management processes and an organizational assessment of DUSN Management and the DON CIO to ensure an effective cross-functional organization for accomplishing the Department of the Navy’s mission and strategic goals.
The DCMO is the lead in a comprehensive plan announced this month by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus. The FY14-16 DON Transformation Plan is a set of guidelines that will ensure that Department of the Navy resources are responsibly and judiciously allocated to the ultimate benefit of the warfighter and mission accomplishment.
Changes are being driven by current fiscal demands requiring all DON leaders to critically examine every aspect of the business enterprise to improve effectiveness and to drive down the cost of business operations, SECNAV wrote in the DTP. SECNAV encourages all personnel to take part in this all hands effort to make every precious tax dollar count for the Navy Marine Corps warfighting team.
In keeping with our business IT theme, we welcome participation by several of the DON’s top business IT and Information Dominance leaders:
- Dr. John A. Zangardi, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Command, Control, Communications, Computer Systems, and Intelligence, Information Operations and Space (DASN C4I, IO, and Space)
- Dr. Maura Sullivan, White House Fellow currently serving in the U.S. Department of the Navy
- Darren A. Sawyer, OPNAV Senior Advisor for Navy Intelligence Enterprise Information Technology
- Janice C. Haith, Director, Department of the Navy Deputy Chief Information Officer – Navy (DDCIO-N)
- Matthew H. Swartz, Director, assured Command and Control Division in the office of the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance (N2/N6)
Also in this issue, don’t miss the Q&As with ID leaders: Vice Adm. Jan Tighe, Rear Adm. Jonathan White and Rear Adm. Mat Winter.
We update the CHIPS website with news stories frequently so please check back between issues!
Welcome new e-subscribers!
Sharon Anderson is the CHIPS senior editor. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org .