Enlisted Cyber Master of Science Degree Opportunity at Naval Postgraduate School. Deadline for submission for this program is 31 December 2020. Message follows:
R 041411Z NOV 20 MID200000322340U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
COMNAVIFOR SUFFOLK VA
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N2N6//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N2N6/
COMNAVIFOR SUFFOLK VA//N13//
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/NOV//
SUBJ/ENLISTED CYBER MASTER OF SCIENCE DEGREE OPPORTUNITY AT NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL//
NARR/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1160.8A, SELECTIVE REENLISTMENT BONUS PROGRAM.
REF B IS OPNAVINST 1520.23C, GRADUATE EDUCATION.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN solicits enlisted Sailor applications for enrollment in the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) 15-month Master of Science in Applied Cyber Operations (MACO) program. This opportunity is one of many efforts to increase Cyber capabilities for the Navy, while building a professional Cyber workforce.
2. Selectees will be assigned to Navy-funded education as full-time students under permanent change of station orders to Monterey, CA, with either a September 2021 or March 2022 start. As full-time students, Sailors will be required to carry a full academic load year-round. Degree requirements should be completed in 15 months.
3. This program is only available to Active Duty and Full-Time Support members in the Information Systems Technician (IT) and Cryptologic Technician-Networks (CTN) ratings, who meet the following criteria:
a. Must possess a Bachelor of Science degree in a relevant technical field including, but not limited to, computer science, electrical engineering, and information or engineering technology. The degree must have been awarded by an institution of higher learning, and accredited by a regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To meet NPS academic requirements, performance in technical courses, including mathematics, must be exemplary.
b. Must be an E6 or above eligible for continental United States shore assignment between April and December 2021 for the September 2021 start, or between October 2021 and June 2022 for the March 2022 start.
c. Must be eligible to incur a 5-year active-duty service obligation by reenlistment or extension of enlistment prior to NPS enrollment. Selectees will be required to reenlist more than 1 year earlier, if they are unable to satisfy the 5-year obligated service requirement. Pursuant to reference (a), payment of the selective reenlistment bonus is not authorized for selectees who reenlist for the purpose of meeting the obligated service requirement.
d. Must be within Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) standards, with no PFA failures within the last 3 years.
e. Must have no evaluation marks below 3.0 within the last 5 years.
f. Must hold, or be eligible for, a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance. Applicants without a current TS/SCI clearance are still encouraged to apply, but should work with their Special Security Office (SSO) to initiate the clearance request. Orders to NPS will not be issued until TS/SCI clearance is finalized.
g. Must possess a conditional letter of acceptance. To obtain a conditional letter of acceptance, applicants should apply to NPS at http://www.nps.edu/academics/admissions/applyonline/applynow.html. Once registered, select Applied Cyber Operations, curriculum number 336. Upon application submission, applicants must arrange for submission of official transcripts to the NPS admissions office from each institution attended for all undergraduate and graduate education, as well as all Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcripts, or Joint Services Transcripts. NPS applications must be submitted to NPS no later than 31 December 2020. Applicants will be notified by NPS via e-mail regarding their conditional acceptance.
4. Upon selection, applicants must request (via Command Career Counselor) an in-rate quota in the Career Waypoints (C-WAY) system. Those not in their C-WAY window should submit a special circumstance application indicating reason code of other. The career counselor will be prompted to add a note indicating selection to the Master of Science in Applied Cyber Operations program. If selected via special circumstance application, this program does not guarantee award of an in-rate C-WAY quota, and is not considered part of a performance indicator of the individual in the C-WAY process.
5. Before submitting MACO application, applicants should contact their detailer to inform of intent to apply to the program, and to obtain a letter of endorsement from detailer. Potential impact to current assignment should be considered. Failure to consult with detailer prior to applying may result in withdrawal of selection. Graduation from the program will impact follow-on tour, and may result in limited detailing opportunities for future assignments.
6. Graduates of the MACO program will earn the H07A Navy Enlisted Classification (previously 2770-Applied Cyber Operations Master), and should expect to serve in a utilization tour immediately following graduation. For ITs, utilization tours shall include operational (Cyber) shore billets and sea billets, when available. Further utilization for program graduates will be appropriately balanced with other priorities, such as career progression, sea /shore tour rotation, etc.
7. Applicants in receipt of a letter of conditional acceptance from NPS should forward a written request for MACO selection via their Commanding Officer. The nomination template is posted to the Navy Information Warfare Outreach Page on milSuite at https://www.milsuite.mil/book/docs/doc-526186 (common access card e-mail certificate login required). The template includes additional documents which must be included for consideration.
8. The Commanding Officer endorsement should address the preparedness for this significant academic opportunity, ability to work independently, communication skills, potential for increased responsibilities, and any special considerations regarding the applicant.
9. Applications must be sent via encrypted e-mail or DOD SAFE (https://safe.apps.mil/) to NAVIFOR NAVIFOR_MACO@navy.mil within 2 weeks of notification of conditional acceptance by NPS.
10. Prior application submissions to this program do not disqualify an applicant. However, applicants who did not receive previous conditional acceptance from NPS, and have no additional academic qualifications, should not apply again, as the academic standards have not changed.
11. Selection results will be disseminated via official e-mail from a NAVIFOR MACO Program Officer. Due to the highly-competitive nature of this program, notification of selection via official e-mail is a binding commitment which selectees must accept or decline within 5 working days of receipt.
12. Instructions to sign up for education program notification are available at https://www.mnp.navy.mil/group/training-education-qualifications/e-graduate -education-and-fellowship-programs.
13. The point of contact for this program can be contacted via e-mail at NAVIFOR_MACO@navy.mil.
14. This message will remain in effect until superseded, or 30 June 2022, whichever occurs first.
15. Released by VADM Jeffrey E. Trussler, Deputy Chief Of Naval Operations for Information Warfare, OPNAV N2N6.//
Original publication by Station HYPO celebrating the past, present, and future of Navy Cryptology .