NAVADMIN 065/21 announces the Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-2022 Secretary of the Navy Tours with Industry (SNTWI) program, as directed in reference (a) SECNAVINST 1320.1A, SECRETARY OF THE NAVY TOURS WITH INDUSTRY PROGRAM. This program is a unique and non-traditional opportunity for exceptional Active Component and Full-Time Support Sailors (E-6 to O-6) to work with partnering corporations. SNTWI fellows are included and immersed in industry to learn and observe corporate processes and best practices.
Knowledge gained as a SNTWI fellow will assist in bringing innovative ideas and proven practices back to the Navy. Past fellows were assigned to VMware, Qualcomm, Apple, Boeing, Tesla, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, GE Digital, Amazon, FedEx, Northrup Grumman, Space X, LinkedIn and USAA.
Officer applications must be routed through the detailer of the applicant and the respective community distribution division will select candidates.
Enlisted applications should be sent to the SNTWI program office at email@example.com.
Eligibility will be based solely on individual community needs, demands and desired learning objectives. The SNTWI application (NAVPERS 1330/4) is a requirement to apply for the program. The application and more information can be found at https://mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career- Management/Talent-Management/SNTWI.
Applicants must be high performing and within physical standards of readiness. Applicants must be within 3 months of their projected rotation date by July 2021 to be eligible for participation. *Off-cycle* reporting to a company will be considered based on community needs or operational requirements.
Participation in the program should not negatively impact the career progression of the applicant.
Applicants who are within 11 months of a career milestone or not positively endorsed by their community will not be considered for this program. Community endorsement should include pre-coordinated payback tours, though these payback tours should not prevent participants from meeting career milestones.
Tours are normally 10-12 months in length, depending on community and corporate requirements. Selectees incur a service obligation for three times the number of months in the SNTWI program, for example, 30-36 months.
Additional restrictions apply.
- Selected Reservists are not eligible for this program.
- Applicants who are within 3 years of separating are not eligible for this program.
- Applicants who are within 3 years of statutory retirement and/or have requested retirement are not eligible for this program.
- Enlisted applicants who are not approved for reenlistment or have no intention of reenlisting and are within 1 year of reenlistment by July 2021 are not eligible for this program.
All communities must submit the names of their selectees to the Director, SNTWI no later than 31 March 2021. Names of selectees submitted after 31 March 2021 will be considered on a case-by-case basis (i.e., awaiting promotion selection results). Communities are encouraged to submit alternate names for unfilled quotas. Selectees will be matched with a company by May 2021.
Communities are responsible for notifying selectees of acceptance
Learning objectives must be approved by the community of the applicant and must be aligned with the community mission. We will pair selectees with companies that will best match the needs of the learning objectives.
- All Designators. Contact your detailer for more information.
- Quotas may not be filled due to manning levels. Executing orders, slating to a billet or serving in a hard-fill billet or one with significant training required could disqualify a candidate for consideration and eligibility.
- Applicants are required to contact their detailer to discuss milestones and performance requirements to be considered for eligibility.
- E6-E9. Contact your detailer for more information. Quotas may not be filled due to manning levels. Executing orders, slating to a billet, serving in a hard fill billet or one with significant training required could disqualify a candidate for consideration and eligibility.
Points of contact: For community-specific eligibility and application questions, contact your detailer.
For program questions not pertaining to application and eligibility, contact sntwi_support.fct@)navy.mil.
This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled.
Download NAVADMIN 065/21 here.