Microsoft Home Use Program Frequently Asked Questions
By DON CIO IT Analysis and Internal Controls Team - Published, March 2, 2017
Office for Mac or PC? Now you can get both. Get exclusive employee pricing on both PC and Mac versions of Microsoft Office 2016, as well as Project Professional 2016 and Visio Professional 2016 for $9.95 each
Start here to order: https://www.homeport.navy.mil/management/microsoft-hup/.
1. What is the Microsoft Home Use Program?
The Department of the Navy (DON) is entitled to Microsoft’s Home Use Program (HUP) as a volume license owner with Microsoft. The HUP allows government civilian and uniformed personnel currently under NGEN to obtain a licensed copy of Microsoft Office, Project or Visio desktop applications to install and use on a home computer, if the products are also currently installed on their NGEN computer. Contractors are ineligible to participate in the HUP program at this time. Usage of HUP licenses is valid only for the member, and not transferable to dependents or other persons.
2. I work in a command where we have a mix of U.S. military, U.S. civilian, and NATO allies who all have NGEN desktops and email addresses. Who in my office is eligible to use the DON's HUP?
Although some components have foreign and/or non-DON military and civilians co-located within their commands who have valid NGEN accounts, only U.S. civilians and U.S. military with a current valid NGEN desktop/laptop and user account are eligible to participate.
3. My desktop computer was not provided by the NGEN contractor, but I am on the Navy's NMCI network. Am I eligible to participate in the DON's HUP?
No, if the user has a non-NGEN computer or a legacy computer, even though they have connectivity to the NMCI network, they cannot participate in HUP. Home use or secondary usage rights for their Microsoft products is contained in their non-NGEN license agreement with Microsoft.
4. Is the DON's HUP the same as the OSD HUP or other HUPs?
No, it is a separate and distinct program for DON U.S. civilians and military, with current NGEN accounts only.
5. Is it a fully-licensed product or is there an expiration date?
There is no specific expiration date to the HUP license. If you leave the DON, your agency/command discontinues its software assurance coverage, or you are no longer a user of the licensed software as part of your employment, your license terminates and you should discontinue use of the software.
6. Will there be another fee to upgrade in the future?
Yes. As long as your agency/command is a software assurance customer under NGEN, eligible NGEN users are allowed to upgrade to the latest version of the Microsoft Office software available, at applicable discount program costs.
7. Do I have to pay again if my computer crashes or is reformatted, or will I be able to reinstall the originally purchased application?
You can re-install originally purchased software if your computer crashes or is reformatted. To lessen disruption from such events, back-up media is available upon purchase and comes up as an option in the Shopping Cart.
Otherwise, keep your product key for future reference. If you lose your download during a crash, you may have to re-acquire the software through the ordering process. The $9.95 charge is not for a new license, but rather to cover processing fees. You may be able to work with Microsoft to re-establish your software depending on version and when purchased. Please go to: https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx for communication with Microsoft.
8. I want to use Visio and Project Professional at home, but it's not installed on my NGEN desktop. Can I purchase these products through the DON's HUP for home use?
No, you can only obtain for home use those Microsoft products listed and installed on your workplace NGEN desktop/laptop.
9. Why can't I order other Microsoft Products than the ones listed for DON HUP?
HUP only includes products for which DON has licenses with active Software Assurance. There are also restrictions on the number of HUP licenses that may be purchased by NGEN users.
10. I have multiple seats at work (e.g., laptop and desktop), can I order more than one copy of each application for home use?
No, you still only have one NGEN email address, therefore you can only purchase one copy of each application for home use.
11. I have an NGEN S&T computer; do I qualify to participate in the program?
Yes, as long as you meet the rest of the criteria (i.e., U.S. civilian or military, like product on your S&T seat, and use on your home computer) and the S&T seat is an NGEN seat, you can participate in the HUP for like products. However, if the Microsoft product on the S&T seat was obtained outside of NGEN (i.e., purchased and installed by the S&T user, not the NGEN contractor), that product does NOT qualify under the HUP program as it has its own license terms, conditions, and secondary use rights in its license. You cannot purchase the HUP software for use at work on your S&T computer.
12. I have a valid NGEN seat and plan to participate in DON's HUP, however, I plan on retiring next year. Can I keep my home use Microsoft products after I retire since I paid for them?
No, the $9.95 plus sales tax paid by each employee covers the processing fees, not the license. This temporary license expires with the employer’s Software Assurance coverage, or upon termination of employment with the covered organization.
13. Can I use the DON's HUP to populate non-NGEN, but government-owned, computers for RDT&E, labs or ranges with the available Microsoft products?
No, the HUP is for personal home use by NGEN users of like Microsoft products on a home computer. HUP is not a substitute or alternative Microsoft purchasing program for government-owned computers.
14. Can I use appropriated funds to purchase HUP licenses?
No, the HUP is set up for NGEN users to personally obtain like products for use on their home personal desktop/laptop. The user pays for this using his/her personal credit card. No government funds are to be used to purchase HUP products.
15. I ordered my software and tried to install it on my home computer. I keep getting prompted for my Product Key. How do I find my Product Key?
The product key is available in the confirmation email you receive after purchase. You can also look it up by going back into the store and clicking on "Order Summary" on the product page.
16. How can I track my order?
The transaction for your product is a commercial one between you and Microsoft. You should contact Microsoft customer service for any discrepancies with your order at https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx.
17. I have participated in the Microsoft HUP and populated my home computer with the software as instructed. I just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer the software acquired under the Home Use Program from my desktop to the laptop. Can I do this?
You may transfer the software license to another computer at home as long as it is done at least 90 days after your original license purchase and installation. From Microsoft's license agreement for HUP: "You may reassign a license, but not on a short-term basis (i.e., not within 90 days of the last assignment). If you reassign a license, the device to which you reassign the license becomes the new licensed device for that license." Should you encounter difficulty doing this, contact Microsoft at: https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx.
18. What, if any additional support from Microsoft is available?
NGEN users purchasing HUP software are entitled to the same support options as other Microsoft customers purchasing software for home use, including free access to resources and newsgroups on the microsoft.com web site, and pay-per-use e-mail and telephone support. You may also submit an email via: https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx.
19. The link for Microsoft HUP does not seem to be working. I tried for almost 2 hours yesterday afternoon and I have tried again this morning with no success. Is there another option?
Sometimes, due to demand, the system is slow, and it may be prudent to wait for another day or two. If still unsuccessful, please contact Microsoft at https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx.
Another possibility would be to check with your network administrator and make sure Digital River Inc. is not being blocked by any firewalls and that Digital River Inc. is on the local 'White List' for accessible web sites. Digital River Inc. is the e-Commerce site that Microsoft uses for the Home Use Program (HUP). If access to Digital River is locally blocked by your network, then you will not be able to complete the transaction. If this is the case, then, unfortunately, you’ll have to solve it with your network administrator.
Otherwise, if you are still having issues, please contact email@example.com and we will try to resolve your issues with Microsoft operations.
20. I bought a product without the media. I’d like to go back and buy it now, but I don’t know how.
You can return to the HUP store at any time to purchase additional products. Go to: https://www.homeport.navy.mil/management/microsoft-hup/ to get the program code, then http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/logon.aspx to resend your welcome mail that will enable you to re-enter the store.
21. The website is not allowing me to buy Office 2016 stating that I already have bought it. I don’t believe I have and would like to verify what I’ve purchased. How do I do that?
Go to http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/logon.aspx, and click 'Order History' hyperlink on the top.
22. When will I receive my back-up media?
If you purchased back-up media, it can take 1 - 2 weeks to receive depending on your location and method of delivery.
23. If a member purchases both Office Professional Plus 2016 and Office Home and Business 2016 for Mac, will two licenses be deducted from his/her organization's HUP benefit pool?
No, if a member purchases both Office Professional Plus 2016 and Office Home and Business 2016 for Mac, only one HUP license will be deducted from their organization's agreement.
24. If I already bought one version, can I buy the other?
Yes, members that already purchased one copy of either product using a HUP license, are eligible to purchase a copy of other product without using an additional HUP license from their employer's agreement.
25. Where can I find resources to help me purchase Office through HUP?
To reduce escalations to organizations' IT departments, Microsoft has made many resources available to help employees self-navigate the HUP process. For HUP questions, members can reference the Step-by-Step employee purchasing and download guide https://marketing.microsofthup.com/home.aspx, found on the Activate and Use your HUP benefit tab, as well as the HUP FAQ, http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx. If you need further support, Microsoft customer service has a fully trained HUP team that can help employees directly. These customer service agents can be reached through the HUP Customer Service-Contact Us page: https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx.
If you did not see your question addressed here, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.