The Department of the Navy Chief Information Officer (DON CIO) released the DON Enterprise Architecture (EA) v2.0.000, July 31, 2010. The DON EA v2.0.000 refines and expands on the content which was released as DON EA v1.1.000 and continues to focus on two overarching objectives:
• Guiding the DON's information technology, including National Security Systems (IT/NSS) investments toward achieving stated departmental goals and objectives.
• Assisting DON program managers in the development of "solution architectures" as mandated by the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System (JCIDS) and Defense Acquisition System (DAS) processes.
New DON EA v2.0.000 content includes rules regarding open architecture, conditioned-based maintenance and the emerging country code standard. Architecture common element lists were added as part of the DON EA Business and Systems Reference Models. New Enterprise Reference Architecture (ERA) artifacts were also added, including: integrated data dictionary (AV-2), organizational structures (OV4-s), technical view standards (TV-1) and emerging standards (TV-2).
DON EA compliance shall continue to be assessed as part of the following processes:
• The DON Information Management/Information Technology (IM/IT) Investment Review Process. (As of Oct. 1, 2010, the IM/IT Investment Review Process was expanded to include all four mission areas);
• Business Mission Area (BMA), Enterprise Information Environment Mission Area (EIEMA), Warfighting Mission Area (WMA) and Defense Intelligence Mission Area (DIMA);
• The Title 40/Clinger-Cohen Act (Title 40/CCA) Confirmation process; and
• The DON NIPRNET Public Key Enablement (PKE) Waiver Request
During fiscal year 2010, the DON EA assertion of compliance and review process was largely manual in nature and therefore included significant inefficiencies. To address these inefficiencies, this process was automated in the DON variant of the Department of Defense Information Technology Portfolio Repository (DITPR)-DON. This newly automated process will be aligned with functionality that already exists within DITPRDON for requesting, reviewing and granting DON EA Compliance Waivers. Enforcement of compliance with DON EA v2.0.000 began on Oct. 1, 2010.
A listing of the content contained in DON EA v2.0.000, as well as other current and authoritative information about DON EA policy and procedures, can be viewed at https://www.intelink.gov/wiki/DONEA. In addition, announcements about DON EA status and updates can be tracked at: https://www.intelink.gov/chirp/group/donea. The DON CIO; Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition (ASN RDA) Chief Systems Engineer (CHSENG); Navy and Marine Corps systems commands; and associated warfare centers are working toward integrating DON EA alignment and compliance reviews as part of the Systems Engineering Technical Review process. This will allow for programs to ensure alignment with the requirements and content of the DON EA early in the program's life cycle.
The DON EA point of contact is the Director of Enterprise Architecture & Emerging Technology, Mr. Michael Jacobs. Ms. Brooks and Mr. Ecarma support the DON EA team.