The call for nominations for the 2008 Department of the Navy Information Management/Information Technology (IM/IT) Excellence Awards will be announced by a DON Info Alert (electronic newsletter) and naval message in fall 2007. The purpose of these awards is to recognize superior quality of IM/IT projects, teams and individuals helping to transform the Navy and Marine Corps through information technology.
DON teams and individuals of all ranks, rates and grades are eligible to apply for an award. A combination of team and individual awards will be presented. Team awards will be presented to project teams, process/product teams and working groups. The team must include government civilian or military employees, but may include contractor personnel as well. Representation from the other services on joint projects involving the DON is welcome. Individual awards will be presented to government civilian or military employees.
Individuals and teams that meet one or more of the following criteria will be considered for an award:
• Superior leadership skills, delivering results that ensure the organization is working toward common solutions, and aligned to the DON IM and IT strategic vision (as defined in the DON IM and IT Strategic Plan for FY 2006-2007 available at http://www.doncio.navy.mil);
• Innovative use of IM/IT while not duplicating existing projects, systems or solutions;
• Significantly improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization in delivering its mission;
• Significant achievement in advancing the DON's vision to manage knowledge to enable effective decision-making, increase the efficiency of task accomplishment and improve mission effectiveness;
• Significant contributions that enable information assurance or critical infrastructure improvements;
• Significant contributions to the recruitment, retention, and training of the IM/IT workforce.
Awards will be presented during the DON IM and IT Conference scheduled for Feb. 4-7, 2008, at the San Diego Convention Center, 111 West Harbor Drive, San Diego, Calif.
To sign up for the Info Alert and receive the 2008 call for nominations, go to the DON CIO Web site at http://www.doncio.navy.mil, click on Info Alerts and News on the left side of the screen, or call (703) 602-6274 for more information. Details about the conference will be announced in the coming months in CHIPS and by a DON Info Alert.